Most recently FloridaRealtors.org published this important information for those owners that have filled their homes with Smart Devices and they plan to sell that house and those devices changes hands ; it can create security risks for Sellers and Buyers. To help protect yourself, consider the following steps.
- Make a list of all smart devices that will stay after the sale, including locks, lighting, thermostats, alarms, streaming video players, moderns and Wifi repeaters.
- Immediately before closing, reset al devices to factory defaults to wipe away email addresses, credit card numbers and other personal Data.
- If a Device is tied to a personal email, create a free generic email address. (example 101YOURSTREET@gmail.com)
- At closing, pass the generic email address and other smart home codes to buyers.
- Ask Sellers for manuals and manufacturer contact information for all smart devices.
- Notify manufacturers of change of ownership and provide new contact information so they can send you updates and security patches.
- Update all devices to the latest security software and firmware
- Change Passwords and user names of the devices.
- Change access codes for door lock, gates and garage door opener.